- Several PhD oppurtunities, London South Bank University. Closing date: 15 July 2020 LINK
- Part-Time Research Associate for the ‘5GEM` Programme, Lancaster University. Closing date: 12 July 2020 LINK
- Business development manager, Computer scientist and Deep learning scientist, Intellegens. Closing date not mentioned. LINK
Over the past 2 to 3 years, members of the Surface Engineering Leadership Forum team have been involved in several trailblazer groups, to help put together apprenticeship standards for engineers employed within the surface coatings and surface engineering disciplines.
These have included standards at various levels of proficiency, including levels 2, 3, 6 and 7. The first standard approved is at Master Degree level 7, where post graduate engineers will learn specialised skills particular to Surface Engineering and Coatings, Heat Treatments, and Surface Treatments with a specific emphasis on helping your business.
The introduction of these valuable new apprenticeship standards is fully supported by the Surface Engineering Association along with many other key technology Institutes and Associations.
The first course meeting the level 7 standard is planned to commence in January 2021 and will be offered through Cranfield University. The delivery will consist of taught modules, group and individual project, case studies, to be followed by an end point assessment. Duration will be 30 months part time.
At the present time, in light of the Coronavirus situation, it has not yet been decided as to whether taught sessions will take place at the University or via electronic distance learning. In either case, sessions will be delivered by both senior academics and high-ranking professionals from industry. There will be plenty of time set aside for group discussions.
The full cost for this apprenticeship will be £17,000, which can be funded through the Apprenticeship levy. However, of special interest to SME’s will be the ability to claim back 95% of this cost, resulting in a company contribution of £850 over the 30 months of the course.
Much of the work required will be able to be conducted within the apprentice’s workplace, and it is predicted this will take up about no more than 20% of their time. The individual case study will, almost certainly, involve a project within the employers’ organisation, so there will be immediate benefit to the business. Tools and techniques learnt whilst studying can, of course, also be immediately applied to your business.
The outcome of the apprenticeship will be a qualified engineer ready to help lead your company forward through digital manufacturing to become World Class.
More information can be obtained through contact with SELF, or the organisers at Cranfield University: Jeff Rao: J.Rao@cranfield.ac.uk; 01234 754185.
Phd opportunities at the London South Bank University
Application Deadline: 15 July 2020
Please clink on the button below for more details.
The School of Engineering at London South Bank University is an ambitious and progressive centre of research strength, ranked 25th nationally for research power in the last Research Excellence Framework. We have a fabulous central London location and are looking for talented potential students interested in research to work with our academic faculty in areas of strength. We are offering a number of funded PhD scholarships below. These studentships are available to UK nationals & EU citizen’s and overseas applicants*. Those in possession of their own funding (e.g. via a non-EU government scholarship) are also welcome to apply for a place of study.
PhD Scholarships available in the London Centre for Energy in the School of Engineering:
1) Modelling and simulation of the laser ablation process
2) Instrumented Nanoindentation for information rich electro-mechanical characterisation
3) The Rehbinder Effect across length scales
4) Finite element analysis and experiments on hybrid laser assisted machining processes
5) Highly Efficient Bifacial Organic Solar Cells
6) Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence (TADF) based Hyperflourescence OLEDs
Further details on each PhD project as well as application information are provided via the link but all PhD scholarships benefit from the following:
- Training in advanced engineering topics
- Mentoring from industry on the application and context of research
- Bespoke technical training
- Enterprise and innovation skills training
- Transferable skills development opportunities to increase employability
- 3-year studentships of ~£15,000 per annum living stipend (tax free)
- Payment of all tuition fees*
- A school supported consumables and travel budget to support additional specialist research training courses, access to specialist equipment and travel to international conferences, seminars and workshops
- Industry sponsored* cutting-edge research projects
- Wide choice of PhD projects ranging from applied to blue-sky research
- State-of-the-art research facilities in the centre of London
- Opportunities for overseas secondments to industrial partners and universities
- Excellent career prospects on completion of the PhD * for eligible students only
http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/research/centres-groups, please click on the link above to see the specific PhD posts available.
Closing date for applications: 15th of July 2020 PhD Start: 1st October 2020